Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What means....and why?

Those are two of Ethan's favorite phrases lately. He has become very curious about everything, especially the meaning of things. So, when he wants to know what something means, he says, "what means..." Sometimes he says it just to say it, but most of the time he sincerely wants to know what something means. I love it, because he is such a sponge and actually remembers most things. He will even ask what some big words are and then he tries to use them later.

Why? has also become a favorite. Everything is "why?" I can remember back when my nephew Justin was going through the "why" phase and I let my sister borrow my big book of why. I'm thinking I may have bring it home from school, so that I can use it! He really does think things through when he asks and it is so great.

Ethan is growing so fast and is amazing me every day with all of the new things he is learning. Over the past few days, he has nearly shocked me. Those who know Ethan really well know he is very shy. He tends to get really quiet in large groups and barely talks. On Saturday, we were out to dinner with my entire family for Easter. When we all get together there are 23 people. Over the years, Ethan has taken baby steps with his feeling comfortable with the family. He is now at the point that he will play a little with his cousins when they are all together. He is really comfortable with all of his aunts and uncles now. I had told Ethan to go to my mom and tell her Happy Easter, so he said "ok" and did it. On his own he chose to go up to every single person at the table and say "Happy Easter". It was amazing!! He did so well. Matt and I couldn't believe he did it all on his own. He was even disappointed that he couldn't say it to some of the cousins he couldn't get to, so we showed him a way to do it and he was so happy.

On Tuesday, we were driving home from my mom's house after school. We always talk in the car and it is usually the same basic conversation each day. I ask him what he did at school and most of the time he answers "I don't know" or "no anything". Then I ask him "what sounds good for dinner" and we discuss possible ideas and try to decide on something. But, on Tuesday, out of no where he asked me "what sounds good for dinner?" So, we talked about it a little and came to a decision. I was shocked he asked it himself. Then I asked him about his day and at first said "I don't know", then I said "yes you do, tell me one thing that was fun". Before I knew it, he was giving me every detail of what he did in the day!! I was so excited about it. I really couldn't believe it and I was amazed. It was so great!

Last week, he even asked me "how was school mommy? I was so excited he asked and made sure that I answered him. We have been watching him just bloom and it has been so much fun. We are looking forward to what the next few months will bring for him. Everyday is really fun and interesting with him and we always look forward to the next one!

No comments: