Monday, March 31, 2008

Ethan Update

Ethan is certainly growing up. Ethan and I were both on spring break last week, so I took the opportunity to really focus on potty training. Quite the challenge. We officially stopped using diapers and pull ups since Monday, March 24. He has been wearing big boy pants. We have, of course, had the obligatory accidents in the past week. He is about 50% trained, so we'll see if he gets the hint soon. He went to school today and was able to tell his teacher about the change. It has been nice not worrying about diapers or pull ups. We went to his pulmonary doctor last week and they said that we will try taking him off of his daily asthma med May 1st. We did it last summer and he did great. We will also try taking him off his reflux medicine June 1st to see if he still has reflux. He has been on meds for over a year and they said he could be better, but he may not be. There is no good way to tell other than to take him off the meds. His whole bedtime routine will be different because of the changes and maybe it won't take us so long to put him to bed.

I thought it would be fun to give you some of Ethan's favorite phrases.
"I can't like that" - For anything that he tastes or looks at and doesn't like.

"Mama forgot that way" - If I don't go the way home that he thinks I should be going.

"I can't believe it!" - For anything he is excited about.

"cuz" - We are surprised he is using that for because, I'm not sure when he picked it up.

"I can't do it" - Whenever he is not in the mood to clean up the mess he just made.

"Mama do it", "Daddy do it" - He wants us to do the work he is supposed to be doing.

"Carry" - When he is feeling way too lazy to walk up the stairs himself, so daddy has to be around to carry or we go through a huge crying fit because mama can't carry.

"I want to play clothes" - This is where he pulls the laundry out of a basket and dumps it all over the floor and rarely puts it back into the basket.

"I want to play doors" - He goes upstairs and opens and shuts all 6 doors. He can do this for a very long time.

"I want to watch Bay Einstein" - He has been obsessed with Baby Einstein videos over the last few days (he watches them while he does his treatments and then he want to watch them in between treatments, so this weekend when he got treatments every 2 hours, that meant that he was watching Baby Einstein nearly 24/7)

Ethan's titles for Baby Einstein videos:
Bear One - Baby Mozart
White Circles - Baby Bach
Elephant One - Baby Noah
Talking One - Baby Einstein
Shapes One - Baby Newton

While his speech may still be behind where it should be, he certainly knows how to listen and make his own phrases for different things :)

As for the new little one, I will be 11 weeks tomorrow. Things have actually gotten better in terms of the nausea. I've actually been a lot hungrier, so the baby must really be going through a growth spurt right now. I've been trying to stay away from chocolate recently, but this past week has been hard because I have been craving it. So, I've limited myself to little tiny pieces to get rid of the craving :) I've also been starting to feel a little less exhausted now that I have my C-PAP machine to help me breath at night. Before it, I would feel completely exhausted by then end of my lunch time and I had a physically difficult time standing to teach. Now, I just feel the pregnancy tired feeling as opposed to total exhaustion. I even sleep really hard at night, which has proven to be painful at times because my hips and arms hurt from the dead weight. I even told Matt today to wake me up when Ethan wakes up because he has had to do a lot of the night time duty since Ethan has been sick and waking up more at night. I literally hear Ethan cry, hear Matt get out of bed and I am already back asleep like a rock and never hear anything else. I can barely move myself at times, it's weird because it has been a really long time since I have slept that hard at night, which makes me wonder how long I have had this problem.

I go to the OB on Friday and I will give an update about the pregnancy at that time.

No comments: