Friday, March 13, 2009

Pink Medicine

Pink Medicine is bad, but Orange Medicine is good!!

This is Ethan's thinking. Unfortunately, in his 4 1/2 years of life, he has had to endure a lot of different medicines. So, he has become really good at distinguishing between the "good" and the "bad". Orange medicine is the Motrin or Ibuprofin. We must buy the orange, because that is the one he will take without too much of an issue. But, you try to give him pink or red and you are in for a fight. Well, they only make his antibiotics in pink and cherry flavored. He hates it!! We have had to give him pink medicine several times in the last three months and each time has been a challenge. The first couple of times he was on Zithromax, which is only once a day for 5 days. It's a challenge, but not too bad. This time he's on Bactrin and it is twice a day for 10 days! Not so much fun.

He comes up with every excuse not to take it when he sees it coming. It is pretty funny, he'll turn his head away as if that will change the fact that he will have to take it :) 2 tsp is not that much, unless you are trying to give it to a kid that doesn't want it.

When we would give him cough syrup, he really hated that! He would literally shake after drinking it. Of course, I can't say that I don't do the same. I really hate cough syrup and it probably has to do with the fact that I had to take a lot of it as a kid. I try to avoid it at all costs, but when it is my only option, I literally have to rinse my mouth out immediately after or else it doesn't stay down. So, him having these aversions to medicine is not too surprising given what I do with medicine :) At least it helps him to feel better and I think he knows that, but he sometimes has to be reminded about it :)

So just remember, pink is bad, orange is good :)

No comments: