Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Wonders of Christmas

Christmas through the eyes of a 4 year old is such a wonderful experience. Lights are the most amazing thing, Christmas trees are an amazing sight and Santa is the guy in the red suit! Ethan is so excited about the Christmas season and it has been so much fun watching him get so into everything. As we drive around at night, we hear things like "wow!!" or "look!!" with each new set of lights he sees.

We finally had a chance to put up our tree on Sunday night. When we plugged it in, we heard this little gasp as he saw it all lit up. He was so excited to help me decorate the tree. That has always been my favorite thing to do at Christmas, I love putting decorations on the tree. I can remember decorating the tree as a kid, many times on Christmas Eve. I also remember when my mom started to go to a themed tree and wouldn't let us help decorate anymore. It really upset me when I couldn't help to decorate, so when I got married, I became the official decorator and I promised that I would never to a plain and simple tree with a theme.

I love putting all kinds of decorations on the tree. Over the years, we have acquired a lot of decorations. I have bought some, Matt's mom gave us some from when Matt was a kid, we have received a lot as gifts also. There is such a variety of decorations on our tree and I love it! Ethan has acquired my taste for having a variety of decorations on the tree. When we decorated on Sunday night, he was in charge of the bottom of the tree and I was in charge of the top. He did such a great job this year! Of course, this is the first year that every single decoration made it on the tree. Our tree is covered and it has never looked better, I just love it and so does Ethan.

While decorating, he dropped two ornaments that broke. One can be fixed, but the other was glass and shattered. He got so upset about it, because he really wanted to put it on the tree. We had to explain that sometimes that happens and it's ok and that we still had a lot of other decorations, but he said he was still sad. Then after the tree was decorated, Chloe, our cat, knocked a decoration down and out came a burst of tears. He got so upset that she knocked down a decoration. As you can see, he really loves decorations and our Christmas tree. He has been asking us to put it up for months now :)

Matt put some lights on our stair rail and Ethan just said "Wow!!", when he saw it all turned on. Last night, I pulled up to the house with Ethan and he said "Look!!", when he saw the brand new lights that Matt put on our bushes while we were gone. He was so excited about it.

I took him to the Manor House, that we have named the Christmas House. The house is a mansion in a local metropark and it gets decorated each year by different people and organizations. Each room is unique and never the same from year to year. Ethan loved it and especially loved the trains at the end of the tour. I'm taking him to Children's Wonderland on Wed. night, which is exactly what it sounds like. It is a lot of fun and they even have Santa there. We'll eventually take him to the zoo for the lights at the zoo and I'm even working to plan a trip to Frankenmuth, MI, which is a great place to go at Christmas time. I'm having such a great time watching Ethan enjoy the different aspects of Christmas.

I have to charge my camera and then I will try and add some pictures of our tree, especially some of the parts Ethan decorated. It really is cute to see how he decorated the tree :)

1 comment:

Reggae Joe said...

It is pretty cool seeing Ethan getting into the wonders of the holidays. He was showing me the tree for a bit yesterday--it was cute!

Thanks again for a good visit and for the pizza...it's always good to see you guys.