Friday, January 23, 2009

Back to the Grind...

Yes, I finally went back to work today! It has been exactly 9 months since the last time I had worked, so it was a little surreal at times. The morning went ok with getting Ethan, Micah and I all ready to go. I even got out of the house with enough time to drop them off at my mom's and still get to work at 8!

Once at school, I was in meetings until 11:30. It was really hard for the first hour, because I had cried after dropping off the kids and those emotions took some time to ease up. I was pretty emotional and in somewhat of a daze for that first hour, but then after that things started to get better because I was kept so busy.

I finally got to sit down with my sub and go over routines and student info. It was funny because she and I talked about how she had to recap 5 months of stuff in one day and I had to try and retain 5 months of stuff in one day! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment, because there was just so much information. I think that as I process all of it over the weekend and sort it out in my mind, things will feel better. On Monday, I will have the students for the first time. I'm hoping to get there early, so that I can just prepare for having students, since today was all about getting to know my classroom routines and such.

Overall, things went well and I made it through the day and in less than 5 months, I will be back home with the boys for the summer, which will be really nice. It's a busy semester for my grade, so that will also help with things going quickly for me...at least I hope :)

In other news...I am getting new glasses tomorrow and I'm really excited about it. Matt and I went last week to pick some out, so I get to pick them up tomorrow. I've been waiting 3 years for this! When I got this pair, it was with the intention that I would be wearing contacts most of the time. In then end, I ended up not being able to wear contacts and I had this cheap pair of glasses. I finally got the chance to go and get an eye appointment so that I could get new ones and I'm so excited about it.

I took Ethan to the pulmonary doctor on Wed and all is good. The doctor said that he was the best patient he had all day. Then he looked at me and said, "no really, he is the best patient we had all day, I really mean this." Ethan did great and they told us that he is going to move up in the administration of his medicine in April. Since he will be 5 this summer, he is old enough to move away from the nebulizer and use the spacer (I think that is what it is called). It will be so nice to not have to spend 20 minutes every couple of hours doing treatments when he is really sick. It will also be nice to not have to carry around that nebulizer everytime we go out of town, even if it is an hour. After using it for almost 4 years, we will be happy to be rid of it. Now our next step is getting him to the point where he may not need any of the meds. Hopefully, he will grow out of his asthma at some point, but if he doesn't at least we know things get easier to manage the older he gets.

Next week will be a big week of changes as we try to adjust to the new schedule, so wish us luck :)

No comments: