Friday, January 16, 2009

S"no"w Fun

Those of us that don't live in sunny San Diego (Matt's dad and brothers live there, along with some step-family) have had to deal with this lovely Ohio winter weather. Don't get me wrong, I love a good snow, but I love it for about a day and then it can go away. Last weekend, we got blasted with somewhere around 8-10 inches of snow. As the week went on we put on another 4 or so inches. Now we are dealing with below zero temperatures. This morning, I turned on the news and I could not believe what I saw at 9 am. The actual temperature was -11 and the temperature with the wind chill factored in was -32!!!!! I was in shock that it could actually be that cold. No wonder every school in the area was closed!

Like I said, I don't mind a good snow, especially if I don't have to be in it. I love the morning after a snowy night. It is so quiet and still outside. On Sunday morning, we woke to a very messy road. We live on a busy enough road to be cleaned, but it was clearly not clean, because it was Sunday. It was such a beautiful morning and truly of God's work. I woke to find it foggy outside and everything was covered in snow. I opened the door and stepped outside to take some pictures and some video. All I could hear was the train that is about a mile away and the birds singing in the trees. Every once in awhile a car would come down the road, but overall it was very quiet. That is when I love snow!

Another reason I love snow is to watch Ethan go out in the snow. He has so much fun trying to walk through it. This year, Santa brought him some nice snow mittens so that he could actually play in the snow. I also love watching Maggie run and play in the snow. She loves to dig her face into the snow. Being that she is all black, the white snow looks really cool on her. I also love to see the icicles that form. We had some really big ones that were hanging at both our front and back doors. Those are just some of the things that I do love about winter.

The cold air on the other hand is not my favorite thing. I really don't like going out in the cold. So, to even open the door to let Maggie out is really hard to do! As much as I like to see the snow, I'm pretty much over it once the plows go through and the dog has trampled it. After that, I love to see it melt away :) Of course, there is no chance of that for quite some time around here. The temps we have had for the past few days have pretty much made the snow pretty thick and hard and on top of that, we are supposed to get another several inches of snow this weekend. Ahhhh....the joys of winter! Maybe we'll actually be able to take Ethan sledding in his new sled, which will make all of the yucky snow, so much better :) Of course we need temperatures to be a little higher and not cause frost bite during our first ride down the hill!!

Anyway, here are some recent pictures of our fun in the snow...

Foggy, Snowy, Sunday morning, looking down our road. On the right-hand side you can see the pine tree that the rolled-over truck destroyed in December. That hole is where the truck was sitting upside-down.

I just thought the fog here looked cool. Icicles outside our back door.Can we say Randy from "Christmas Story"?
Yes, he went down his slide and even swung on his swings!!


Look at Maggie's snowy face.

No comments: