Monday, June 30, 2008

Rain, Fireworks and Toilet Paper

Rain - Ethan LOVES to play outside. I can't express in words how much, he just loves it. We have had rain everyday for the past week and it has been very frustrating to the little boy, whose biggest happiness comes from being outside. Luckily, most of the rains have been short enough that he can play outside in between storms, but some of the days it has been rough and we get "I want to have to go outside and play" on a constant basis. We have to continually remind him that it is raining and everything is wet. He wanted to be outside so much on Sunday morning, that he stayed out riding his bike even though a light rain had started. Matt noticed it was raining and called him back in and Ethan was still all smiles even though he was a little wet :)

Fireworks - Our child is obsessed with fireworks! Last summer he was obsessed, even though the noise still scared him and we thought he would not be as obsessed about it this year. Not the case! On Saturday night some people in the neighborhood were doing fireworks, which of course did not allow Ethan to get to bed on time, so he wanted to watch them. Since then, the talk has only been about fireworks. "We gonna see some fireworks at our house??" Last night Matt mentioned that Holland was having their fireworks that night, so we made plans to get Ethan to that. Matt's brother Chris was here from San Diego, so we decided that the four of us would make a quick trip to the fireworks. So that you know we made a safe decision for me, we were only going about 2 minutes down the road and I was going to lay down in the car to watch the fireworks.

We left a little before 10 and stopped at the Kroger near our house to watch the fireworks. It was perfect because I layed down in the car, while the other 3 got out and stood in the lot to watch. We were done within about 20 minutes and back home. We've learned not to go all the way to the park with Ethan, at least not yet. He still does not enjoy the sound as much, so some distance is good! But, now all morning I have heard, "we gonna see some fireworks at our house?" I have to constantly remind him that it needs to be dark and we may not even see any then. I wish I could say that this will end after this week is over, but I know that it will continue through the summer. We are on constant watch for when Ethan can catch some fireworks, even if they are little ones in the neighborhood :)

Toilet Paper - This is just a cute Ethan story. This morning, I noticed that my bathroom was just about out of toilet paper and the only other toilet paper in the house was upstairs in Matt's bathroom. Since, I can't go upstairs (I can if I have to, but I feel right now it is way too risky, so I don't) I sent Ethan up to get some. So I told him to go to the closet with his towels and bring down some toilet paper. He said "ok!" and ran upstairs, a couple minutes later he came down with a towel. So, I sent him back up after he called daddy to get better details as to where the toilet paper was. He came back down with some wipes. On the third try, with some more details and simpler direction, he came back down with a wad of toilet paper that he took off Matt's roll :) I just laughed and he said "I have toilet paper". I said your right, let's take a break and eat some breakfast and try again later.

After breakfast, we tried again. I sent him up after reminding him of the details and he didn't come back down this time, instead he got side tracked and was playing with the doors upstairs. After a couple more tries, he came back down with another towel. This time, I got really clear about what to do and he finally came back down with one roll of toilet paper! I told him he did a good job and he just lit up! It was so funny. He tries so hard to help his mama. I have to admit that right before that last time, I was going to just say forget it and head up myself, so I'm glad he found it for me :)

No comments: