Thursday, July 10, 2008

Our Labor and Delivery Trips (Don't Worry!)

Wow, the last two days we spent way too much time in the Labor and Delivery unit. Yesterday after a really good doctor's appointment, we had to go to the hospital to go get the first of 2 steroid shots for the little man's lungs. The doctor's office was out of the shot, and he wanted me to get it that day, so the hospital was the only choice. So, my sister took me and we were assured by the doctor that he was going to call to let them know we were on the way. When we got there we were told to sit in the hallway until they called us. After almost an hour it was our turn, then it was another half hour or so until they brought in the shot.

They told me to come back today to get the 2nd shot. I called this morning to find out what would be a good time to show up and get my shot in time. So, they told me 3:30. My sister and I got there just after and were again told to sit in the hallway until they called us. It got to 4:15 and Matt called to say he was on his way to get me and I told him that we were not even in there to get the shot yet. So, he got there and we waited for another 1/2 hour, at that point we were in the hallway for an hour and a half. So, I sent Matt in to see what was going on. He came out with nurse that apologized and said she was told we were out there, but she had forgotten!!! A women on bedrest sitting in the incredibly uncomfortable chairs/couches, who was forgotten. Not an easy task.

So we finally got in and it was another hour before the shot came. They also decided to put me on a monitor this time (results were all good), even though I told them that they didn't do it yesterday. My doctor was on call and when the nurse asked him how long he wanted me monitored, he said, who told you to monitor her, just give her the shot and send her home.

After 2 1/2 hours, they finally came in with the shot and we were able to go home. We didn't even get home until 7:30. Last night after being out and about for 5 hours, I ended up having a lot of braxton hicks contractions, thankfully none of them were timable. I'm thinking that it was because I was forced to sit up a lot of that time and I cannot usually go for more than an hour. I've had a few tonight already and I'm hoping I don't spend 2 hours up tonight like I did last night.

Even with all of that frustration, I think the most difficult thing was being on that floor of the hospital. Matt and I spent nearly 4 months on that floor the last time I was pregnant. I was there 3 weeks and Ethan was there 3 months. Sitting in the hallway, we were in the pathway to the new NICU at the hospital. The hardest part today was seeing so many new moms being wheeled to and from the NICU. I remember that ride and I remember being so scared to see my tiny little baby struggling. It comes back so fast when you see these moms with such long faces. Yesterday, the families seemed to have been there for some time. Today, however, most of them were brand new parents heading to the NICU. I teared up quite a few times.

The other thing that was hard to see was a mom that was walking the hallway trying to speed up her labor. It hit me that I never got to do that and I am praying that I get to this time. Again, it was a hard thing to see. It is a weird thing to be 25 weeks pregnant and watching people who have had a baby too early and to see the full-term moms getting ready to deliver. I still have so long to go until I am full-term, but I may not have so long to go if I end up going early like the other moms. It really put me into a whole swing of emotions to spend so much time on that floor. It brought back too many memories, but also gave me another reason as to why I am sitting here on bedrest. I want to be the mom that gets to walk the hallway, I don't want to be the mom being wheeled to the NICU to see my fragile baby.

No matter how you put it, this is a difficult pregnancy and to deal with these types of emotions can be so draining. It is so hard knowing the realities of this pregnancy. I actually had to get the steroids because this baby could come at anytime. He could be born in a few days, a few weeks or hopefully a few months. It is so up in the air and that can be draining. It is like we have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I realized that the doctor's goal is less than 3 weeks from now. I'm not sure I am ready to have a baby in 3 weeks, even though this is getting exhausting to lay here, but I'm really hoping to go at least 11 more weeks. On Tuesday, I will officially be on the down slope, because I will have less time to go on bedrest than I have already been on, if I want to get to 36 weeks, which has now become my goal. Tuesday, I will be on for 12 weeks and only have 10 more to go. I know I can do it, but can this baby ?? We hope and pray for that.

Thanks again for all of the support and prayers, we really would not be this far without all of you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It scared me when I saw your title, but then after realizing it was for your steroid shots, I felt much better. However, why couldn't you get your shots at the doctor's office? When I was pregnant with the twins, I got them automatically at 29wks. I was able to have the nurses to do it in the office. It just seems that it would of been so much better for you phyically and emotionally if you would not of had to go to the hospital for them. Take care!

April Doran