Thursday, August 07, 2008

GD Meeting Update

I had my meeting with the gestational diabetes educators today. I was there for a little over two hours and met with 3 different people. The first person went over the medical aspect of it, the 2nd went over the meal plan and nutritional aspect and the 3rd went over how to test my own blood sugar.

I will have to test myself 4 times a day. The menu is not too bad, I'm counting my carbs and watching all other sugars. It seems to be pretty simple, although it is quite different from what I have been eating. I am having to cut my meals literally in half or more. It is crazy. I'm sure it will take me a few days to get my stomach shrunk down enough to not feel as hungry after a meal. I will eat 6 times a day, but as I said they are all very small meals. I started the new diet with my dinner tonight, since I had to wait for Matt to be able to shop for some of the stuff I needed. When I took the bs 2 hours after dinner, it was good :) So, the diet worked for my first meal, which made me feel confident that I can certainly do this. Like I said, I think the hardest part will be the smaller meals and feeling hungry at first.

Overall, I feel a lot better about it and now that I better understand the risks to the baby and I, it really helps. It does seem very easy to drastically reduce the risks simply by changing my diet. The bad thing is that I cannot exercise, which is why the diet has to be a little more strict. But, they did say that as long as the diet works, there should be no problems. I also felt better about the future risks. I know it will help me to better control my weight after the baby comes. I think the diet is something that will really help me to get a handle on eating better. I decided that this is a blessing in disguise :) It really helps me to see the positives in this, rather than focus on the negatives. It will help me to be able to change my habits for the better. I have already thought of ways to work in exercise after the baby comes and they even gave me some tips on what is important to do.

I thank all of you for your continued support through this pregnancy and all of the things that have come our way. I truly believe that I would not be able to see any positives in what I am dealing with if I did not have all of you as part of my support system. So, I thank you so much!

No comments: