Thursday, September 11, 2008

Appointment Update

I just came back from the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor and all went well. No ultrasound was done, it would have been nice, but we knew it was possible that they wouldn't do it. The doctor is so nice and funny, so it was a very relaxing appointment :) The appointment was mostly about my gestational diabetes and my control of it. Both the doctor and the dietician said that they are happy with my control and think I am doing very well, so that made me feel a lot better about my situation :) He agreed with everything I told him my regular OB has said, so it was also good to hear that. I have been really happy with the care I have received during this pregnancy and it was good to have some confirmation of that.

There has also been a second opinion on the safety zone this baby is in right now. He said what my OB has said that basically I can have the baby anytime now and he will do well. I plan to at least go two more weeks, if I can. I'm hoping that at that point I will have the baby soon after. We still want to avoid any major time in the NICU, other than the observation that we know he will need because of the diabetes. It still brings back too many memories about the NICU, so it would be hard to do that again, even for a couple of days. While at the hospital today, we saw a mom taking her baby home and this was the first time that I saw that and felt confident that I will be able to do that this time. I think one of the hardest things (other than the obvious issues with Ethan), when I would leave him at the hospital, was seeing moms get to take their babies home with them right after they had them, not 3 months later. I am so excited that I have a very strong chance of making it home with my baby this time :)

So, overall I had another great appointment to help me confirm how well things are going! I see my regular OB on Monday, so I'll update after that :)

No comments: