Sunday, September 07, 2008

First Cold of the Season

Well, we have been dealing with the first cold of the season already. Ethan was in school for just two days and caught a cold already! As many of you know, most of the time a cold is not just a cold for Ethan, it usually ends up turning into a full asthma attack and days of breathing treatments. Sometimes we get lucky and it just stays a cold and we don't have to do any treatments, but not this time. Ethan had been off of all asthma meds since May and did really well all summer, but his immune system is still having a hard time adjusting to the fall and winter germs. It seems like we will have to start the daily meds again, it's not much fun, but it has to be done!

It all started Thursday night when he was at his grandma's staying the night. He did not sleep well and started with a runny nose. So, in the morning I had to send all of his breathing treatment meds and supplies, with my dad, to my mom, since that was where Ethan was at on Friday. He only needed a couple of treatments on Friday, but it was Saturday that was just awful. Ethan needed treatments every 1-3 hours. He ended up with a fever and he was incredibly whiny, as most kids tend to be when they are sick. Matt had an appointment to get some work done on my car in the morning, so I was alone with Ethan for a few hours. Between 11 and 11:30, Ethan had to be given 3 different medications. I started out with some prednosone to help open up his lungs, since he was having difficulties with breathing between treatments. Then as soon as we got that down, he started into an awful asthma coughing fit, so I had to give him his treatment. Just as we finished that, he became hysterical. So, I felt him and noticed he was a little warm, so I took his temp and sure enough he had a fever. So, the third medication was for the fever. I finally called Matt and said "is the car ready yet? I'm exhausted!" Everytime I went to lay down, Ethan needed me for something, luckily I'm at a good point in the pregnancy that it wasn't such a big deal, but I was so exhausted by the time he started to feel a little better.

Luckily, he took a good nap and felt a lot better in the evening. We even went outside for a little bit, which I think is good to help kill some of the germs. He's a little better today, but he is still having difficulties with breathing and he has had a runny nose that won't go away. Poor Matt has had two nights of very little sleep, since he is the one sleeping upstairs with Ethan. The first night, Ethan spent the entire night in the bed with Matt, which means that Matt did not sleep. Ethan is not kind when he sleeps in the same bed as you. He is a kicker and he also has to be right up against you. He also moves all over the place and ends up taking up the entire bed :)

We had a ton of plans for this weekend, which has been a rare thing lately and we had to cancel everything. The plans for Saturday and Sunday included friends that have babies, one of them is only a few weeks old. We left it up to all of the parents involved to make the decision, but we figured that plans would end up having to be cancelled. We know what it is like to have a sick kid make Ethan sick, so we didn't want to do that to them. So, hopefully we'll be able to reschedule sometime before or after we have the baby :) This isn't the first time we have had to cancel plans, and I'm sure it won't be the last :) Let's just pray that I don't get this cold! I really just want to stay healthy until this little guy comes home!

No comments: