Thursday, September 25, 2008

Update after Cerclage Removal

Since I am writing this, I'm obviously at home :) The cerclage removal went ok today. I ended up needing the spinal, which I was not happy about. He really tried to do it without the spinal, but I was in a lot of pain and he could not get to the stitch without more pain for me. The spinal was awful again!! I have decided that since I have had so many bad experiences with it, I am going to ask for the main anesthesiologist to do my epidural and no assisstants or students. As much as I don't mind students learning, this is one area that is just too sensitive for me with all of my normal back problems.

Prior to that they tried to get my IV going and I had agreed to allow two students to observe during the removal, so they wanted one of them to put my IV in. I was ok with it until it felt like my hand was being stabbed. He ended up going right through my vein rather than into it. I was in so much pain that the nurse had to put it into my other hand. So, now I have two very sore hands because I have such awful veins. Like I said, I'm ok with students observing and practicing, but I think that when it comes to my veins and my spine it will have to be a no!! The students were thankful to be able to observe and I was happy to help :) My recovery was a lot better than when they placed the cerclage, which means I was not throwing up and I was able to walk well and I was not completely dizzy for hours :)

I did begin contracting after the removal and as I began to feel again they certainly became more intense. I had contractions every 2-4 minutes for the entire afternoon. Right after the removal I dilated to 1 cm and that is where I stayed for the next two times they checked me. So, the doctor decided to send me home and let me get more relaxed at home and see if anything changes. I am certainly more comfortable at this point, and my contractions have spread out slightly. I am in a lot of pain, because the cerclage was so difficult to remove. Overall, we are happy to be home and we are hoping that we may be able to make it to 37 weeks or at least as close as we can. If nothing happens this weekend, I will go back to the doctor on Mon or Tues to get checked again.

We'll keep you updated if anything changes as soon as we can :) Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers today! Even with the moments of pain, I know that the prayers helped to give me the strength to get through those moments and to also help me to recover as well as I did. So, thank you!!

No comments: